Nauta® Conical Paddle Dryer
The Nauta Conical Paddle Dryer is Hosokawa’s newest drying technology. The unique paddle design of the vertical, centrally-driven dryer combines extremely fast drying rates with a compact design. It is a universal vacuum dryer that has been developed to enable vacuum, atmospheric and pressurized processing of a variety of materials such as powders, filter cakes, pastes and viscous slurries, especially when they are brittle and/or heat sensitive.
- Multi-purpose and multi-processing
- Efficient batch drying of loose powders to heavy filter cakes and viscous liquids
- Compact design
- Batch volumes ranging from 5 to 10 000 litres
- Extremely fast drying
- Full compliance with international standards (FDA, cGMP, EHEDG)
- Automated cleaning solutions with our patented CIP filter and CIP skids
- Sterile processing (SIP) possible
The thermal energy needed for drying is introduced into the product through a heated jacket that can be heated by various media including steam, hot oil and water. The jacket provides rapid distribution of heat into the product in combination with efficient mixing.
The vacuum inside the dryer allows vapor to be removed at low temperatures, which makes the conical paddle dryer ideal for drying heat-sensitive products. The vapors are removed through a dust filter fitted on top of the vessel. This then prevents the dust from penetrating into the vacuum system.
The conical paddle dryer is fitted with a condenser with a receptacle for recovering solvents. This condenser can be installed before the vacuum pump, or after it, depending on the characteristics of the solvents.
The moisture content of the product can be controlled by monitoring the weight of condensate or using the Hosokawa Sampler for taking samples from the product inside the dryer under vacuum.
The conical paddle dryer is designed for vacuum drying of solid based materials, but can be used in a wide range of other applications requiring thermal processing or vacuum treatment of solids, such as:
- Chemical reactions: alkalization, solid-gas reactions
- Wet agglomeration and granulation of solids
- Sterilisation of products
- Homogenising under vacuum
- Cooling of solids and liquids
- De-aeration of pastes and liquids
This combination of several processes in one vessel offers tremendous savings on investment costs, labour and space.