The Mikro Air Jet Sieve™ MAJSx utilizes test sieve screens and the pneumatic sieving principle to enhance the accuracy and reproducibility of particle size analysis. Use of this method has become a preferred standard for such tasks as quality assurance of incoming raw materials, process control and the verification of final product specifications. While under negative pressure, a positive upward air flow is emitted from the rotating slit wand, continuously disperse particles across the surface of a test sieve screen. The particles finer then the opening of the test sieve screen will pass through and are carried away from the sample, leaving the coarse particles larger than the sieve opening retained on the Test sieve screen. Precise determination of particle size within the range of 20 to 4,750 µm can quickly be determined. This unique rotating wand method also reduces, and in many cases, eliminates the need for tapping or brushing, enhancing the analysis reproducibility. The overall system is designed for cleaner operation and requires less counter space than other types of analytical equipment.
When using air jet sieving to determine particle size, there are four key operating parameters that need to be consistent to produce repeatable and reliable results.
- Sieving Time – The sieving time plays a big role in determining particle size with an air jet sieve. Excessive sieving time can lead to particle degradation due to attrition. In most dry powder applications, Hosokawa recommends a sieving time cycle of 2 minutes. Two minutes provides ample time for the particles of the entire sample to have an opportunity to pass through the sieve screen or be retained.
- Sieving Vacuum Pressure – Hosokawa recommends a sieving pressure between 8-16 inches of water column during a sieve analysis. If the pressure is too low, the air velocity passing through the rotating wand may not evenly disperse the entire sample. If the pressure is too high, the air velocity could generate enough force to further grind material as the sample repeatedly impacts the sieve screen and sieve cover.
- Sample Volume – In most air jet sieve particle size analysis devices, a sample between 10 grams to 100 grams is recommended, depending on the density of the material being tested. Samples larger than 100 grams can blind the test sieve screen affecting the analysis results.
- Test Sieve Screen Quality – The integrity of a test sieve screen is critical in any particle size analysis process. Hosokawa only provides test sieve screens that are 99% accurate. These high quality test sieve screens help assure accurate results. Test Sieve screens with any damage such as holes, tears, scratches, waves or other imperfections are not recommended. Sieve screens should be recertified as recommend by the manufacture on a routine basis.
This particle size analyzer features an integrated computer with touch screen controls and display. The computer system is easy to operate and includes step by step instructions to ensure test performance. The Mikro Air Jet Sieve™ MAJSx automatically calculates particle size and data can be stored, analyzed and compared. The Mikro Air Jet Sieve™ MAJSx is ergonomically designed to make particle analysis more efficient than ever. Constructed in durable cast aluminum, the Mikro Air Jet Sieve™ MAJSx frame is lightweight and has a high polish finish, yet is tough enough to withstand frequent use in harsh environments.
- Suitable for use with 200 or 203 mm diameter test sieve screens
- Integrated analysis computer with touch screen controls
- User friendly software with step by step instructions
- Built in timer and automatic pressure differential gauge
- Capable of accepting 90-240 volt, single phase, 50/60 Hz power
- Compact Design 16.5" wide x 10.5" deep x 7.5" tall
- Long life & minimal downtime
- Independent isolated inlet air & outlet air connections
- Available in a ‘Advanced Computer Software Guided Mode’ or ‘Basic Manual Mode’
- Certification and/or Validation services available upon request
- Brush, sieve cover and tapping hammer included
Options & Accessories:
BALANCES: Accurate sieve screen weighing is critical in determining particle size. Hosokawa can provide reliable and proven balances with your particle size analyzer that can be integrated into the process and directly network with The Mikro Air Jet Sieve™ MAJSx.
- Compatible electronic balance for accurate particle size analysis
VACUUMS: Hosokawa Micron Powder Systems strongly encourages customers to purchase and utilize industrial HEPA filtered vacuums also available through Hosokawa. The vacuums offered are specifically selected to ensure performance and assured results.
- HEPA vacuums for high containment & consistent performance
CYCLONE: The Hosokawa Mikro High Efficiency Cyclone is a laboratory scale particle collection device, often paired with the Mikro Air Jet Sieve™ MAJSx. In order to recover up to 98% of materials over 10 µm, the Mikro High Efficiency Cyclone must be installed prior to the vacuum. This option allows operators to collect materials that are smaller than the test sieve screen for further analysis. The cyclone is constructed in stainless steel and supplied with a threaded clear glass collection jar. The cyclone can be easily dismantled for inspection and/or cleaning.
- High efficiency cyclone for 98% product recovery of particles above 10 µm
Sieve Screen Options:
Hosokawa Micron Powder Systems only offers precision die stamped test sieve screen frames with the Mikro Air Jet Sieve™ MAJSx particle size analyzer. The Test Sieve screens meet ASTM E11 standards and are supplied with a certificate of conformance, along with a certified histogram. The test sieve screens are built to the highest standards and are guaranteed to be at least 99% accurate. Hosokawa has a wide selection of mesh sizes ranging from #635 / 20 µm up to #4 / 4,750 µm.
An Optional Multi-screen adaptor capable of using 3 different sized test sieves at one time is available.